Accessibility For All
Accessibility statement for https://www.huish.ac.uk/
This accessibility statement applies to www.huish.ac.uk.
This website is run by Richard Huish College. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- zoom in up to 400% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand and to ensure better understanding for those whose concentration of long pieces of information may not last (for instance, individuals with learning disabilities), information has been reduced, where possible, and relevant information has been grouped and displayed in different pages.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- There are various contrast issues across the website
- Some content cannot be accessed using a keyboard
- keyboard and screen reader users may have some issues with navigation menus
- many parts of the website do not have focus indication
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email: email@example.com
- call: 01823 320 800
- We would also be happy to arrange for you to visit our campus (Richard Huish College, South Road, Taunton, TA1 3DZ) if you would like further support accessing information held on our website.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you within 7 days (usually you will receive a response within 1 working day). Please note the College will be closed during the Christmas holidays and at these times a response will be sent when the Spring Term commences in early January.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact our marketing department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
As an educational institution we are fully committed to assisting users to access the information they require for their education choices. We will assist any user unable to access information on our website through an alternative method more suitable to their individual needs to ensure they can fully access our primary service.
Find out how to contact us at https://www.huish.ac.uk/contact-us/.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Richard Huish College is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 – Non text content.
Alt text is present for all images across our website but there continues to be an issue. We have engaged the services of web consultants to support us in resolving this issue, due to the limited web design capability inhouse. We anticipate this being resolved by December 2021 and we will retest our website in February 2022. We will make sure that we meet the accessibility standards for the WCAG guideline 1.1.1 – Non text content.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.5.3 – Label in name, 3.2.2 – On input, 4.1.2 – Name role value, 4.1.1 – Parsing, 1.3.1 – Info and relationships, 2.4.8 – Location, 2.4.1 – Bypass blocks, 1.4.12 – Text spacing, 2.4.7 Focus Visible, 1.4.3 Contrast and 1.4.6 – Contrast enhanced.
We have engaged the services of web consultants to support us in resolving these issues, due to the limited web design capability inhouse. We anticipate these issues being resolved by December 2021 and we will retest our website in February 2022. We will make sure that we meet the accessibility standards for these WCAG guidelines.
There exists a failure for WCAG 2.4.2. success criterion 2.4.2 Page Titled (pdf files).
We plan to implement staff training and put in place a gatekeeping process to ensure that all new pdf content is compliant when it replaces existing content which may not be compliant. We anticipate this being implemented by September 2021 and we will retest our website in February 2022. We will make sure that we meet the accessibility standards for the WCAG guideline 2.4.2 Page Titled.
We continue to work with our web consultants to remove content and functionality that fails to meet accessibility standards. In some cases, it may become evident that the cost to fix some issues may, after an assessment, prove to be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. If this becomes the case, we will update this accessibility statement outlining our assessment.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
We have pre-existing video on this website. The regulations do not require us to fix issues with video content published before September 23rd 2020. If you require this content in a different format please contact us at https://www.huish.ac.uk/contact-us/.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
Due to the limited web design capability in house we shall continue to engage the services of web consultants to support us in monitoring and improving the accessibility of our website. Due to the way the Sixth Form sector is funded we are unable to proceed with some actions in the current academic year. We have made further provision in our budget for web consultancy fees for the financial year 2021-22. Substantial accessibility improvement work is scheduled for Autumn/Winter 2021.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 26th January 2021. It was last reviewed on 19th May 2021.
This website was last tested on 26th March 2021. The test was carried out by Richard Huish College.
We chose our sample of pages to test by determining which pages contained the most important content for users, which pages were most visited by users and pages which featured a variety of WordPress elements.
You can read the full accessibility test report at: https://checker.web2access.org/review/9b7f77bdc8a1cb968a02b7aee84260059a3d4ae6f34c139a4e
- our main website/platform, available at https://www.huish.ac.uk/
- our other parts of the website, available at https://www.huish.ac.uk/courses/biology-a-level/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/apply-here/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/events/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/working-for-us/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/policies-and-procedures/accessibility-for-all/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/parent-portal/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/policies-and-procedures/website-terms-and-conditions/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/policies-and-procedures/privacy-notices/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/contact-us/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/news/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/school-leavers/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/thevirtualhuishexperience/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/feedback/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/student-information/terms-holiday-dates/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/support/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/safeguarding-prevent/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/policies-and-procedures/, https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/our-team/, and https://www.huish.ac.uk/about-huish/.