Richard Huish College was originally formed in the 18th century. It was named after benefactor Richard Huish, a Taunton wool merchant who made his fortune in London. His will, when he died in 1615, provided the main part of the endowment for an educational foundation to be established which eventually grew into Huish’s Grammar School for Boys. This foundation also established Bishop Fox's School for Girls, in Taunton.
The official opening of the sixth form college that we know today was in 1991. Principally an A level provider for school leavers in Taunton and wider Somerset, Huish now also offers vocational courses, apprenticeships and professional qualifications for adult learners.
The college itself is alleged to be on the site of an old Arboretum and each building has been named after trees on the campus in respect of this. Redwood, Willow, Juniper, Hawthorn, Cedar, Maple and Beech all feature as building names on the campus. The Weeping Willow on the south side of the College was grown from a cutting of the tree overhanging Napoleon’s grave, on the Island of St. Helena, in the South Atlantic!
Richard Huish Died in 1615
A group of Huish boys taken in 1889
Old Grammar School (in 1910) that was situated off East Street, Taunton
This is a photo taken in 1910 of the old Huish Grammar School. The Old Grammar School was erected in 1892 at the back of Grays Alms House, East Street, which is now Sainsburys car park. It was demolished in 1972. The new school was built at South Road, where it is today. The Headmaster in 1900 was R. Humphrey.