Do you fancy a career in Media? It is a thriving UK industry according to the Department for Media, Culture and Sport, who recently reported that Creative Industries are the UK's fastest-growing sector, worth £71.4bn a year and making up 5.6% of the workforce.
Jobs in film, television, music and software have bucked the trend and grown by 8.6% in recent years.
This course is suitable for students who want to go on to university to study Media and Film or enter the industry. It is also suitable for students who have a general interest in British media particularly Television, Film and Radio.
This can be studied as a extended certificate or extended diploma.
There are three mandatory units and three further units. Mandatory units are:
- 1 Media products and audiences.
A written exam in which you will cover ownership models in the media industries and analyse different media products within the sector to understand the fundamentals of how meaning is created for audiences, how audiences are categorised, researched and targeted by media producers and how media institutions distribute and advertise their products to audiences.
- 2 Pre-production and planning
Pre-production and planning are key aspects of any media production. Time spent well leading up to a production can save valuable time and money. By completing this unit and exam, you will understand the pre-production process that the creative media industry follows when creating a product.
- 3 Create a media product
You will apply your learning gained in Units 1 and 2 to plan and produce a media product, such as a MUSIC VIDEO. You will complete planning materials to take them forward in the production and post–production stages of your intended media product. You will plan, produce and edit original content for your video.
Further units are:
- Advertising media (create an advertising campaign and TV advertisement)
- Plan and deliver a pitch for a media product
- Create a personal media profile
There are 4 mandatory units and 12 further units. Mandatory units are:
- Media products and audiences
- Pre-production and planning
- Social media and globalisation
- Application of converging technologies within a digital design proposal
Further Units include:
- TV and short film production
- Visual and special effects
- Radio production
- Create audio-visual promos
- The creation and use of sound in media
- Advertising media
- Research for product development
- Create a media product