Education & Early Years

Level 3: Extended Diploma (T Level)
Examining Board: NCFE

This T Level qualification is equivalent to three A Levels and carries the same UCAS points tariff, so you will not study additional subjects within your core Study Programme.

This course provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to progress on to higher education or employment focused on education of persons aged 0-11 years.


In the first year, you will look at child development, attachment, behaviour and reflective practice across educational settings.

In the second year, you will start to develop an occupational specialism, developing personal competence with an industry placement.

The extensive work placement not only provides valuable experience but also a licence to practice in an early years setting.

As a minimum, you will need (or equivalent to);

  • GCSE Mathematics grade 4
  • GCSE English Language or Literature grade 4
  • plus three more GCSEs at grade 4.
  • to have a DBS check to allow you to participate in work placements. We can discuss this process with you at your Advice and Guidance session following your application to Huish.


Each year you will have two written exams.

They are collectively worth 70% of your grade.

You will also complete a controlled assessment (worth 30%) where you will be given pre-released materials so you can research and plan an employer-set project that you will complete in a controlled environment, with access to your notes.

You can go on to work in an early years setting as the course gives you a license to practice, meaning you will be counted as a fully qualified member of staff and included in the adult-to-child ratio.

Huish offers a couple of Apprenticeships in this area which you may be interested in.

Alternatively, students have gone on to university courses such as Early Childhood Studies, Play Specialists, Child Psychology courses or Teacher Training.

How do I gain work experience?

We will support you to secure your placement. 

Before you start your placement, you will be required to undergo a police background check and again we will be able to support you with this process.