LEVEL: VOCATIONAL LEVEL 3 FOUNDATION DIPLOMA
EXAMINING BOARD: PEARSON
TYPE OF STUDY: FULL-TIME, SIXTH FORM
This Foundation Diploma equates to 1.5 A Levels and can be studied alongside 2 A Levels or Extended Certificates within your Study Programme.
The course is a vibrant and creative, looking at every aspect of the use of technology to create, manipulate and capture music. Practical work includes writing, recording and producing music, sampling, sequencing and live sound. There is a dedicated suite of Apple Macs running Logic Studio and Pro Tools software and two purpose built, state of the art recording studios to help you achieve the highest possible standards in your work.
If you are considering a career in the music industry, teaching, or simply use music as a creative outlet, this course will give you the necessary musical and technical skills to help you realise your musical potential. The technical aspects of recording, sequencing and synthesis are dealt with both theoretically and practically and you will develop your knowledge of music technology experimentally.
The course works in partnership with the Popular Music course for recording, producing, and live sound for the College’s Pop and Rock bands. Huish has an excellent programme of Music enrichment, with opportunities to play and sing in a wide variety of groups.
Standard College entry requirements: 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including Maths and English Language or Literature. You also need musical ability and some experience using music software.
You will study the following topics:
- Film Music
- Live Sound
- Music Industry
Do I need to have GCSE Music?
No, but you do need a good ability to play your instrument(s) or sing, and some experience with music software.
How is the course assessed?
There are regular formal assessments in the form of recordings, compositions, sequences, presentations and creative written work. There are no externally assessed examinations in this qualification.
Can I study Pop Music and Music Production?
Yes, if you are certain you are want to pursue a Music career you can study for a Pop Music and Music Production Extended Diploma. If you want to keep your Study Programme more broad, you may wish to choose either the Pop Music or Music Production Foundation Diploma and two other subjects.
What can I do with this qualification?
You will gain a wide range of skills to be able to go on to any aspect of the Music Industry. Previous students have gone on to work in Recording Studios (including Abbey Road!), Music Management and Promotional jobs (Senior Account Manager at Be-Hookd Digital and Artist Manager), as Film Music Composers, Producers, the list goes on…
There is a record of excellent progression into higher education too with the majority of students going on to study:
- Creative Music Technology
- Music Performance
- Music Production
- On the prestigious Tonmeister Course
- Music Industry Management
- Commercial Music
- Music and Audio Technology
ASPEN MUSIC CENTRE
Aspen Music Centre has been purpose built to offer the best experience for students wanting to advance their musical skills.
The music suite and performance space has:
- 2 recording studios with RedNet Technology
Studio 1: Audient ASP 8024 HE Mixing Desk
Studio 2: Allen and Heath ZED 16 Mixing Desk
- Industry standard microphones, guitar amplifiers etc
- 2 sound proof live rooms for recording
- A Mac suite equipped with the latest Apple iMac computers running Logic X, Ableton, Sibelius 8
- Editing/production suite with Allen and Heath QU24 Digital Mixing Desk
- 2 large specialist music teaching classrooms
- 5 purpose built practice rooms equipped with pianos for instrumental lessons and individual bookings
- Secure instrument store cupboard and vast library of printed music
- Instruments and sound equipment available to loan
Also on campus we have a number of well equipped practice rooms;
- Red Room – Large practice room with stage, full PA and recording facilities, Drum Kit, Amps and Piano
- Green Room – Piano, PA, Drum Kit, Amps
- Blue Room – Drum Kit, PA Amps and Recording facilities.