SUPPORTING TEACHING AND LEARNING APPRENTICESHIP
LEVEL: 3 APPRENTICESHIP
TYPE OF STUDY: FULL-TIME
Would you like to work in a school/college and are you interested in education? If so then this Apprenticeship can provide you with the knowledge and practical skills to support teachers in an educational setting for children aged 5 and upwards.
In this role you will work both alongside the teacher to support classroom activities, and alone with individuals or groups of students as a Teaching Assistant.
As an apprentice, you’ll work under the close supervision of a class teacher. Your duties will vary depending on how the teachers you work with plan their lessons but could include:
- Supervising arts and crafts activities
- Helping with outings
- Reading to the class
- Small group work
- Support with planning
This Apprenticeship would suit an individual who is passionate about working with children, who has an interest in education, or is an existing Teaching Assistant within an educational setting.
The typical duration of this Apprenticeship is 18 months. During the 18 months you will undertake the Level 3 Diploma in Teaching and Learning. During this time you will attend college on day release, where you will develop your knowledge in the following areas:
- Understanding how to safeguard children and young people
- Supporting positive behaviour in children and young people
- Supporting children and young people during learning activities
- Supporting English and Maths skills
- Supporting children and young people’s speech, language and communication
- Developing professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Understanding how to support learning of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
Once the Diploma element of the Apprenticeship is completed you will be expected to prepare for End Point Assessment. If needed, functional skills will be taken during your Apprenticeship program.
On completion of this Apprenticeship possible progression pathways include Higher Level Teaching Assistant or a degree in Teaching in Learning.
A good level of literacy, numeracy and communication. Ideally a pass in GCSE Maths and English at a C/4 or above.
You must be willing to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
How will I be assessed?
On this Apprenticeship you will be assessed by Day Release and a portfolio made up of coursework and evidence.