TEACHING ASSISTANT APPRENTICESHIP
LEVEL: 2 APPRENTICESHIP
EXAMINING BOARD: CACHE
TYPE OF STUDY: FULL-TIME/DAY RELEASE
This Apprenticeship can provide you with the knowledge and practical skills to support teachers in an educational setting for children aged 5 and upwards.
You will work both alongside the teacher to support classroom activities, and alone with individuals or groups of students as a Teaching Assistant.
As an Apprentice, you’ll work under the close supervision of a class teacher. Your duties will vary depending on how the teachers you work with plan their lessons but could include:
- Supervising arts and crafts activities
- Helping with outings
- Reading to the class
- Small group work
- Support with planning
This Apprenticeship would suit an individual who is passionate about working with children, who has an interest in education, or is an existing Teaching Assistant within an educational setting. The typical duration of this Apprenticeship is 12 months. During the 12 months you will undertake the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning.
You will attend College on day release, where you will develop your knowledge in the following areas:
- Understanding schools and colleges as organisations
- Understanding how to safeguard children and young people
- Understanding how children and young people develop
- Equality, diversity and inclusion in a learning environment for children and young people
- Maintaining relationships with children and young people
- Supporting the health and safety of children and young people
- Supporting positive behaviour in children and young people
- Contributing to teamwork in a learning environment
- Understanding children and young people’s play and leisure
- Promoting an effective learning environment
- Providing displays in a learning environment
Once the Certificate element of the Apprenticeship is completed you will be expected to prepare for an end point assessment. If needed, functional skills will be taken during your Apprenticeship.
A good level of literacy, numeracy and communication. Ideally a pass in GCSE Maths and English at a C/4 or above.
You must be willing to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by a portfolio made up of coursework and evidence.
What progression opportunities are available?
You may progress onto the Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship to work towards a Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning.