TEACHING ASSISTANT APPRENTICESHIP
LEVEL: 3 APPRENTICESHIP
EXAMINING BOARD: NCFE/CACHE
TYPE OF STUDY: FULL-TIME/DAY RELEASE
You will work both alongside the teacher to support classroom activities, and alone with individuals or groups of students as a Teaching Assistant.
As an Apprentice, you’ll work under the close supervision of a class teacher. Your duties will vary depending on how the teachers you work with plan their lessons but could include:
- Supervising arts and crafts activities
- Helping with outings
- Reading to the class
- Small group work
- Support with planning
This Apprenticeship would suit an individual who is passionate about working with children, who has an interest in education, or is an existing Teaching Assistant within an educational setting. The typical duration of this Apprenticeship is 18 months. During the 18 months you will undertake the Level 3 Diploma in Teaching and Learning.
You will attend College on day release, where you will develop your knowledge in the following areas:
- Understanding schools and colleges as organisations
- Supporting health & safety in a learning environment
- Understanding how to safeguard children and young people
- Understanding how children and young people develop
- Supporting positive behaviour in children and young people
- Supporting children and young people during learning activities
- Supporting English and Maths skills
- Supporting the use of ICT in the learning environment
- Supporting assessment for learning
- Engaging in personal and professional development
- Supporting children and young people’s speech, language and communication
- Understanding how to support bilingual learners
- Supporting children and young people during transitions
- Supporting the role of play, leisure and extra-curricular activities for children and young people
- Developing professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Understanding how to support learning of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
Once the Diploma element of the Apprenticeship is completed you will be expected to prepare for an end point assessment. If needed, functional skills will be taken during your Apprenticeship.
I am really happy to have completed my apprenticeship, and feel that I was supported really well by my Tutor along the way.
Daisy Denning, Teaching Assistant Apprentice
A good level of literacy, numeracy and communication. Ideally a pass in GCSE Maths and English at a C/4 or above.
You must be willing to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by a portfolio made up of coursework and evidence.
What progression opportunities are available?
Progression routes include Higher Level Teaching Assistant or a Foundation Degree in Learning and Teaching.
During the 18 month Apprenticeship, I have learnt and developed a lot of knowledge and skills through both my workplace and at College. I have been supported by my Assessor/Tutor and have always been able to ask for more support when needed. I have enjoyed completing the Apprenticeship.
Emily May, Teaching Assistant Apprentice