Phone icon







We work with agents around the world to recruit students. They will get to know you and help you decide on your Study Programme. Many of them have either visited us here in Somerset or we will have met them in their home country. Our aim is to create long term relationships with professional agents who have excellent reputations and place the needs of the student first.

The below process is for students wishing to study full time at the College, if you are interested in a short study tour or the pre-A Level short course please contact us for more information about these options.


Step 1: To apply to the College, request an application form from your agent or if you do not have an agent, you can download an application.

Download an International Application Form


Step 2: The completed application form should be emailed to either directly or through your agent. By sending your application you are agreeing to abide by our terms and conditions.

Step 3: Once your completed application to study at Huish has been received, it will be acknowledged and an Advice and Guidance appointment (interview) will be arranged. For applications made outside of the UK, our preferred method is a Skype appointment.

During the application process we will also request the following documentation:

  • Two years school reports
  • Copies of any qualification certificates already received
  • Copy of your passport
  • IELTS (Academic) for UKVI certificates if you have already taken your test

Step 4: If you require Accommodation, you will need to also complete a boarding application for Oak House or Homestay Accommodation. Please visit our Accommodation page for further information about applying for boarding or homestay. You can discuss accommodation options at your Advice and Guidance session (interview).

At your interview we will discuss the courses you would like to study, your aspirations for studying in the UK, future university and career choices and any visa requirements that may be needed to progress your application. We will also discuss where you would like to live; Oak House Boarding or with a Homestay family. The purpose of this appointment is to ensure you feel confident in all aspects of your chosen Study Programme.

After your advice and guidance appointment we will offer you either a conditional or unconditional place to study at Huish. Your offer will depend on:

  • The courses you wish to study
  • Previous school reports
  • Certificates of achievement
  • Level of English proficiency as tested by an IELTS examination

It is a good idea to book your IELTS test early in your home country to avoid any delays to your application (please note that you must choose IELTS for UKVI ACADEMIC in order for us to issue a CAS for your Student Visa. More information can be found at:

Please email us for details of our fees and conditions.

The international student fee includes both tuition and half board accommodation. It also includes:

  • CAS [Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies] for visa applications
  • Airport transfer at the beginning of the autumn term in year one
  • Weekly English lessons and workshops
  • Access to Huish Student Services
  • First exam sitting (except own language exams)
  • Loan of equipment, books and multimedia in our Learning Centre
  • Wifi access across the College campus
  • Subsidised cultural and social programme
  • Access to the Huish Gym and most after college sports
  • Careers guidance and university entry help


Once a successful application has been made you will be issued with an unconditional offer letter and an offer reply form outlining payment options and deadlines for payments. On receipt of your completed offer reply form, an invoice will be issued for your first instalment of fees – this must be paid at least one month before your course begins/prior to issuing your CAS (whichever comes first) in order to guarantee your place. Once this has been received, a CAS will be issued to support your visa application.

A non-refundable deposit of £5,000.00 (Level 3)/£3,000.00 (Huish+) can be made to secure your place and accommodation. This means that for any reason you do not to enrol at Huish, we will retain £5,000.00/£3,000.00 of fees received.

Important information: We cannot issue a CAS until the autumn/spring term fees have been received.


TransferMate makes it easier and cheaper for international students to pay for their student fees & accommodation fees. We know that our international students often get caught out by annoying transfer fees when paying their tuition fees. We don’t think that’s fair, so we’ve teamed up with TransferMate to help you pay your fees without wasting precious funds on additional fees or charges.

What are the benefits?

  • A more streamlined payment process
  • No international sender/receiver fees
  • Great exchange rates
  • 24 hour customer service from TransferMate
  • 24 hour online tracking of payments
  • Bulk payment options
  • TransferMate lets you make international payments to Huish for free where TransferMate has a localised account, without paying international banking charges, while receiving competitive foreign exchange rates.

STEP 1. Check your ‘Invoice number’.

STEP 2. Visit payment website and complete the brief registration form. Click ‘YES’ you are ready to pay today and then select ‘Process Transaction’.

STEP 3. Transfer the funds to the advised bank account.

STEP 4. Email with receipt of payment, a copy of your student passport, and your offer or invoice letter from Richard Huish College.

STEP 5. Once TransferMate receive your funds and required documents, they will transfer the funds to us and email you confirmation of payment. Sorted!

Visit Transfermate.


We offer a scholarship aimed at a student who is academically gifted but would struggle financially with the costs of education in the UK. This can be a fee remission of up to £5000 per year, depending on the students family circumstances. To find out more, contact Evidence of household income will be required.


There is currently a payment of £2,100 per year for applicants that hold Settled/Pre-Settled Status and international students with British passports, or BN(O) Dependents who do not pay tuition fees. Students will be able to access to the services of the International Department, such as access to subsidised trips and airport transfers offered to international students as part of their social programme.

Applications from EU students

Please note that the UK Government has announced a new Points Based Immigration System, which will take effect from the 1 January 2021 once the freedom of movement with the EU has ended. This will include the Student Route for students wishing to study in the UK from within the EU.

If you’re an EU citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. To find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme and apply, visit

An introductory guide to the immigration system for EU students.

British National Overseas BN(O)

In July 2020 the UK Government issued a policy statements regarding the BN(O) Visa route. For further information, please refer to the UK Government website:

The UK Government is planning to open the Hong Kong BN(O) Visa route for applications from January 2021, and further information will follow soon.



You can send payment directly to the College, or transfer directly into our bank account. Please quote your account number [this can be found on your invoice] and/or the students full name as the payment reference. Huish bank account details can be forwarded on request.

  • You can now also pay invoices using our online College shop: [Please note that there is no transfer fee incurred using this method of payment]
  • UK bank charges and currency conversion costs, if incurred, will be added to your invoices. Please allow for this when making payments
  • Cheques must be made payable to ‘Richard Huish College’ and must be drawn in GBP. Eurocheques are not accepted
  • Invoices must be paid within 30 days, unless stated otherwise. The College will use a recovery agent (CCI Legal Services Ltd) if unpaid.


If you fail to pay your fees within the given deadline [as stated on your official invoice], you will incur a late payment fee of £50.00 per overdue payment.


Once you have enrolled, you must inform the College in writing, a minimum of one term in advance if you wish to withdraw from studies, or leave the course early. Failure to give such notice will result in a full terms fees being charged. Richard Huish College will notify the UKVI [UK Visas and Immigration] team of your altered status.

If you are withdrawing before the course starts – all fees paid to date will be retained as a cancellation fee.
Deposits and fees are not transferable from person to person.

You are advised to insure yourself against loss of fees through non-arrival, absence for any reason or unexpected termination of the course.


In order for Richard Huish College to consider any claim for a refund/reimbursement of fees, the claim must be submitted in writing no more than 30 days after your course end date / last day of lessons if you have left the course early.

These are the terms and conditions if you apply directly to us. By sending your application you are agreeing to abide by our terms and conditions. If you apply through an agency other terms and conditions may apply.


Please note that we require 1 weeks’ notice and parental consent for any planned trips arranged by students/parents outside of College enrichment and social activities timetable. Failure to give such notice may incur a fine of £50.00 to cover administration time. Please ensure that students do not miss any lessons for private trips/holidays. More information regarding deadlines for trips during the half term and major holidays will be provided in the latest copy of our accommodation guidelines.

When you have an unconditional offer you can apply for your visa to study in the UK. You will need a Student Visa. We work with you or your agent to ensure that all paperwork is complete and that all evidence is in place confirming your suitability for your chosen courses. If you haven’t already done so, you should now book your IELTS test. Remember, you must choose IELTS for UKVI Academic in order for us to issue a CAS and you will require a score of at least 5.0-5.5.

You may find the following links useful:

  1. UK Visas and Immigration
  2. Student Visa
  3. How to pay the Immigration health surcharge (for free medical treatment in the UK) 
  4. How to contact UKVI from outside the UK
  5. Biometric Residence Permit explained
  6. Booking your IELTS for UKVI test
  7. UKCISA – UK Council for International Student Affairs
  8. The British Council
  9. NARIC


A short-term study visa will allow you entry to the UK to study a short course for a maximum of 6 months, or up to 11 months if you are coming to study an English Language course. You cannot apply for a short-term study Visa from within the UK.


To apply for a short-term study visa, you must:

  • be joining a short course of study in the UK (max 6 months – or 11 months if studying an English course).
  • have enough money to support yourself while you are in the UK – you will need to show that you can pay for your tuition fees, accommodation & living expenses.
  • be able to pay for your return or onward journey.

If you’re under 18 you must also:

  • have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK.
  • have permission from your parent or guardian to study in the UK


If you enter the UK on a short-term study visa, you cannot:

  • Work – paid or unpaid.
  • Undertake a paid or unpaid work placement, even if this is part of your studies.
  • Extend your visa in the UK – you will need to leave the UK within 30 days of your course end date, or before your visa expires, whichever is the sooner.
  • Apply for other visas from within the UK.
  • Bring dependants.
  • Access the National Health Service (you will need to obtain private health insurance).


Visa Nationals
Some nationalities will need to apply for and receive a short-term study visa before they travel to the UK.

Please check that you are eligible to apply and can meet the requirements. You should read the UKCISA guidance and the information available on the Home Office website.

You can apply up to 3 months before your course start date (shown on your Richard Huish College offer letter). You can find the application form on the Home Office website. You will also need to provide the visa fee payment, your original offer letter, information about your accommodation arrangements and your original financial documentation which shows how you intend to fund your studies.

You will only get a visa for a maximum of 6 months (or 11) from the date you confirm to the Home Office as your intended travel date, so make sure that you will have enough time on the visa to cover the whole of your course.

When you travel to the UK, make sure that you bring all of the documents that you submitted with your visa application with you – the Border Force Officer may ask to see these documents when you arrive.

Non-visa nationals
If you are a non-visa national, you can either apply for the visa outside of the UK (before you travel) or you can apply at the UK port of entry when you arrive (for example, at Heathrow airport).

You can check to see if you are a non-visa national on the Home Office website.

If you plan to obtain entry clearance when you arrive, you will need to show all of your offer documents to the Border Force Officer, such as your unconditional offer letter and evidence of your finances.

Unless you have prior entry clearance, you should avoid travelling to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, as you will probably be unable to apply for entry as a short-term study student. Any stamp you do receive when travelling through the Republic of Ireland is likely to result in you having insufficient leave to complete your studies at the College.

When you arrive at the UK airport, you must NOT use an eGate. You must ask the Border Force Officer to be admitted as a short-term student (rather than as a general visitor) – you will need to clearly explain to the Border Force Officer that you will be studying. Make sure that they look at your offer letter. The stamp you will be given in your passport should indicate that you are here as a short-term student. The stamp is your ‘visa’ and will last for 6 months. Please note that the Border Force Officer can use your course end date (on your offer letter) as your visa expiry date. Students on short-term study visas are expected to leave the UK within 30 days of completion of their course, or before their visa expires, whichever is the sooner.

You can save the pdf ‘Request for a passport stamp’ to your phone or print it out and show it to Border Force Officials on your arrival to the UK to explain that you need a stamp in your passport.

If you are a Registered Traveller, when you arrive in the UK you must go through passport control and see a Border Force Officer – do not use an eGate. If you use an eGate you will be entering the UK as a visitor, not as a student.

Below is an example of a short-term study visas obtained at the UK airport – note the wording which says ‘Leave to enter as a short-term student’ – your visa stamp must have this wording. If not, query this with the Border Force Officer.

Example of Short Term Visa

For further guidance about seeking entry as a short-term student see the Home Office.

Make sure you don’t come to the UK too early to ensure you can stay until your course has finished.


UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI)
Visa application fees
UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

If you are interested in becoming an agent for Huish, you will be required to complete an initial application form in which references will be requested. We are interested in working with agents around the world, and expect them to work with us in providing potential students with accurate information and support through the application and admissions process.

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding Agents