Pre-arrival information

Prior to arrival 2018

In addition to the information below you may find the 'British Council – Study UK, Discover You’ guide useful.

•Collecting your BRP: We do not have an ACL code; our International Staff are registered as 3rd Party Collectors for students under the age of 18. Our local post office is TAUNTON.

• Check your immigration document and contact Maria Smith if you think it contains any errors.

• Keep your passport safe. Take copies of your passport and other paperwork before travelling and keep secure in a different place to your passport.

• We will be offering a free coach service for students arriving on the 1st September 2018 in the morning at Heathrow airport, please contact Maria Smith for further information.

• If you are not arriving on the 1st September, please contact Maria Smith for further advice, there may be a transfer fee incurred.

• Inform the International Team if you are delayed, providing the new date of your arrival and the reason for the delay.

The UK Border Force has produced a '10 Top Tips' information leaflet providing guidance on getting through the UK border controls as efficiently as possible. In addition to the information outlined in this leaflet, you are advised to carry your visa application decision letter in your hand-luggage. The decision letter will have been issued to you to confirm your visa application was successful.

Police Registrations

If stated in your Tier 4 Visa, please bring 2 passport sized photographs, you will also need £34.00 in GBP cash.

Term Dates

Below are the Huish term dates and important dates for academic year 2018/19

Term Dates 2018-2019


You may find that the weather in the UK is very different from your home country. Summer and spring offer pleasant temperatures varying from about 18C to 30C whilst autumn and winter see temperatures varying from 15C to 1C. During winter occasionally there are snowfalls. It is advisable to bring warm, waterproof outdoor clothing with you.

We recommend that you bring clothes that you can wear in layers, such as:

  • t-shirts
  • cardigans
  • shirts
  • jumpers/sweaters

A warm waterproof coat for winter and a light waterproof coat for summer is recommended.

Students dress casually at college but you may want something smart to wear for a special occasion.

Summer homework booklet and choosing your subjects

To help you make a well-informed decision about your two-year Study Programme, our staff have prepared a booklet of Summer homework. This booklet contains tasks designed to show you what the typical content of your chosen course is.

If you find the work interesting and enjoyable, it’s probably the right choice for you. If you do not find it interesting then you might want to consider a different course. If that applies to you, we recommend the following:

• Look at our website for information about new options and courses.

• Look at the summer homework for new subjects. Is that work more interesting?

• Ask advice from your Induction tutor or Richard Jones (Careers Officer).

Please complete the homework over the summer holidays for your chosen subjects. You will be required to hand this in during your first lesson of each subject during the week commencing 4th September

Health Care in the UK

During your stay in the UK you can access appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care through the National Health Service (NHS), the UK’s state healthcare system. When you arrive we can advise you of your local medical centre. To register with a doctor you will need to take your passport along with a letter from the College as proof you are a student. We recommend you do this during your first week at College.

Tier 4 students

Students coming to the UK for over 6 months applying for a Tier 4 visa will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of their visa application fee. Students are required to pay £150 for each year of leave granted on their visa. If this includes a portion of a year that is less than 6 months then you will only be required to pay £75 for that year. The immigration health charge is in addition to the standard visa application fee.

For students applying for entry clearance from overseas, the surcharge will apply to visa applications for courses of 6 months or longer. For students making an application for further leave to remain in the UK, the surcharge will apply for courses of any length.

The immigration health surcharge will entitle Tier 4 students to access NHS care in the UK free of charge in the same way as a permanent UK resident. This will include any visits or treatments at a healthcare centre or hospital. This will not cover all dental and optical treatment or medicine prescribed by the doctor and collected from a pharmacy.

You will automatically be refunded the immigration health surcharge (but not the visa application fee) if your visa application is not successful. The surcharge is not refunded if you depart the UK earlier than the expiry of your visa or if you do not use the NHS during your time in the UK.

Tier 4 dependants

Tier 4 dependants also have to pay the surcharge as part of their application at the same rate as Tier 4 students. Dependants need to select 'Tier 4' and then the dependant option under visa type when paying for the surcharge via the website.

EEA and Swiss nationals

To access the NHS services for free Non-UK European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). We recommend you read the UK’s Department of Health leaflet, Health Care Information for students from the European Economic Area for more information about using the NHS.

If you are exercising your right to reside in the UK as a student, in accordance with UK EEA regulations, you are required to hold comprehensive sickness insurance throughout your stay in the UK. Having a valid EHIC issued by an EEA member state other than the UK satisfies this requirement if you are residing in the UK on a temporary basis as a student.

Alternatively you can obtain Forms S1, S2 or S3 from the social security institution in your country of residence. You would need to contact the social security institution to verify whether these forms are relevant to your circumstances. If you are not entitled to an EHIC or cannot be issued one of these forms, you are advised to obtain private comprehensive medical insurance.

Short study periods

In the unlikely circumstances that you are studying in the UK for less than six months and you are from a non-EEA country, you are advised to take out medical insurance as you will be liable for NHS charges for the treatment you receive in the UK except for some treatment in a medical emergency. EEA nationals should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Private Health Insurance

You will have to pay the health immigration subcharge even if you opt to take out private health insurance as this is a mandatory fee included as part of your visa application.

You may consider taking out private health insurance if you want to access private medical treatment, to cover any loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course or to cover costs associated with returning to your home country for treatment. This is a personal choice.

If you have existing medical insurance in your home country, you may wish to check whether this can be extended to cover your stay in the UK.

Student Services

Providing you with complete support!

Providing you with complete support!

Case study

Case study

Joey Wu on settling into Huish.

Joey Wu on settling into Huish.