Advice and Guidance
As you begin your Key Stage 4 studies you should begin to think about your post-16 options.
At Huish, you can design your own Sixth Form Study Programme, train with an Apprenticeship or use our Level 2 Pathway to progress onto these Level 3 options. With so many courses to choose from it may seem overwhelming but you will find plenty of guidance on offer.
Meet Charlie and Kate
Our School Liaison Leads are Charlotte Sargent and Kate Holmes and they are here to offer advice and guidance to pupils interested in studying at Huish.
They can support you with:
- choosing your courses/Apprenticeship
- applying to Huish
- feeling prepared and confident to join us at Huish
They attend parents’ evenings and careers fairs, and deliver assemblies in schools across Somerset and Devon. Make sure you say hello to them if you see them in school and wish to chat about your options.
For those looking to start a Level 3 Study Programme, they also run Experience Days which give you the chance to spend a day at Huish sampling lessons and soaking up the atmosphere of college life.
What can I do to prepare for my next steps?
Here are some of the activities you can do to help you prepare for Huish:
- Consider what your interests are both inside and outside of school, what are your strengths, are there any careers you are interested in, and do you have a desire to go to university in the future, or may you prefer an Apprenticeship route?
- Grab a prospectus – this will provide you with a summary of everything on offer at Huish
- Read our advice on choosing your Level 3 Study Programme (A Levels and Vocational courses) or visit our Level 2 Pathway or Apprenticeships pages
- Use our Course Directory to find out more about your favourite courses/Apprenticeships and to view our course videos
- Join us for an Open Event! Dates of upcoming open events will be advertised on our events page when released and usually take place late in the Autumn and Spring Term
- Speak to our School Liaison staff when they visit your school for presentations, careers fairs and parents’ evenings
- Get advice from our Careers team or the Careers Advisor in your school
- Arrange an appointment with our Apprenticeship team to discuss Apprenticeship opportunities
- Apply to our Sixth Form in Year 11 and attend your Advice and Guidance session (you can change your course choices right up until you enrol)
- Get a taste of the work of your courses with Huish Headstart in the summer before you join us
- Attend an Experience Day at Huish or request a tour
- Contact us! If you have any questions do not hesitate to get in touch, we want you to be able to make an informed choice about your future and love sharing what we can offer.
“We have a culture that cares for the individual and promotes inclusivity, equality and mutual respect – specialist support is available for all and diversity is embraced.”