Academic, Medical and Careers
Our programme supports all students to enhance their knowledge, understanding and skills beyond the Level 3 curriculum and assists those making applications to competitive courses and universities, for example Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry or veterinary science.
The programme includes:
- Visiting expert speakers
- Trips to universities (including Oxbridge and more local university libraries)
- Subject specific super-curricular activities
- Cultural capital trips – museums/theatre/exhibitions/city
- Extended Project Qualification
- Workshops on making a competitive application – including personal statement
- Subject support for aptitude tests
- Mentoring programme to support preparation for interview.
Medical Careers Academy
The Medical Careers Academy is a specialist branch of the Academic EnRICH provision for those looking to make applications to competitive degree programmes of Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science.
- Support in selecting an appropriate programme of study
- Guidance around admissions tests for Medicine and Dentistry (UCAT and BMAT)
- Admissions advice from regional medical schools
- Debate of Medical Ethics and relevant scenarios
- Seminars on past and current events including internal and external speakers
- Recommendations for wider reading
- Building your confidence in use of medical terminology
- Building skills for university application and beyond – communication, teamwork, problem solving, practical skills and more
- Interview preparation – traditional and Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI)
- Information around university widening participation opportunities such as e-mentoring, alternative progression routes and Sutton Trust Summer Schools
- Advice on work experience schemes
- Focused support for disadvantaged students to ensure inclusivity
- Huish Alumni – advice and support
- Microsoft Teams group for wider sharing of advice, information and resources.
If you are interested in our Medical Careers Academy please select this option when making your online application to Huish.
Key to Careers
This programme is designed for Year 2 Huish students who are planning to progress from Huish into a work-based opportunity such as an Apprenticeship or Employment.
The programme includes:
- Individual career guidance
- Help with CVs, application forms, and cover letters
- Employer contacts and networking opportunities
- Mock interviews
- Help with job searching.
There are 60 spaces available on this programme.
To express interest in joining or to find out more, please e-mail Richard Jones, Progression, LC and Exams Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org.