If you sing or play a musical instrument you will find a whole variety of groups to join at Huish – we have everything from Classical to Folk to Pop to Rock.
We perform regular concerts across a number of venues and you can also benefit from workshops and concerts put on by visiting professional artists.
I have been working on my LTCL, a Level 6 Diploma in Music Performance (Piano), so I was delighted to discover the Advanced Musicians Scheme at Huish. Kathryn Foyle, the Music Course Manager, has supported me hugely and I took my LTCL last week. The new Aspen Centre for Music must be one of the best facilities in the South West and we are very fortunate to have such an impressive Bösendorfer piano. I love Huish so much that I spend Saturday mornings here as well at the Centre for Young Musicians Taunton, a division of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Aspen Centre for Music has been purpose built to offer the best experience for those wanting to advance their musical skills.
The music suite and performance space includes:
- 2 recording studios with RedNet Technology
Studio 1: Audient ASP 8024 HE Mixing Desk
Studio 2: Allen and Heath ZED 16 Mixing Desk
- Industry standard microphones, guitar amplifiers etc
- 2 sound proof live rooms for recording
- A Mac suite equipped with the latest Apple iMac computers running Logic X, Ableton, Sibelius 8
- Editing/production suite with Allen and Heath QU24 Digital Mixing Desk
- 2 large specialist music teaching classrooms
- 5 purpose built practice rooms equipped with pianos for instrumental lessons and individual bookings
- Secure instrument store cupboard and vast library of printed music
- Instruments and sound equipment available to loan
Also on campus we have a number of well equipped practice rooms:
- Red Room – Large practice room with stage, full PA and recording facilities, Drum Kit, Amps and Piano
- Green Room – Piano, PA, Drum Kit, Amps
- Blue Room – Drum Kit, PA Amps and Recording facilities
An individual weekly lesson will enable you to improve your technique, repertoire and performance skills. Highly qualified specialist teachers on traditional as well as rock/jazz instruments will help to develop your performance potential to the maximum and to cultivate your skills towards assessment.
A wide variety of instruments are catered for including:
- Piano (classical or jazz)
- Voice (classical or popular)
- Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass
- Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone and Bassoon
- Trumpet, Horn and Trombone
- Guitar (classical, acoustic and electric) and Bass Guitar
- Drums and Percussion
You will need to own or have access to a reliable instrument on which to practise regularly at home. Many musical instrument dealers offer very reasonable trial/hire arrangements and advice on options can be provided.
30 minute long lessons during the College day. All levels of ability are covered from Beginner to Advanced. Students at Advanced Level can top-up their bursary for extended tuition in 45 minute lessons.
Your one-to-one lesson will be tailored to fit your individual needs and you will be provided with weekly feedback on your progress and targeted advice on developing your skills.
Many students choose to work towards graded exams with ABRSM, Trinity, London College of Music, Rock School and RGT, and the College has an excellent record of success in music qualifications.
Applying and Fees
You will be provided an application form in your Welcome Pack when you join the College or can collect on from Reception at the start of the year. If you need further information please contact Kathryn Foyle, Course Manager for Music – Kathrynf@richuish.ac.uk.
Please click here for information about Fees and the Music Bursary.
It will prepare you for application to Music Colleges and University Courses including the Choral/Instrumental Scholarship at Oxford or Cambridge.
Within your timetable you will receive:
- Advanced aural lessons
- Theory Classes (ABRSM Grade VI/VII in Year 1, Grade VIII in Year 2)
- Sight-reading classes
- Performance master-classes with professional musicians
You will be encouraged to enter local and national competitions and be entered for Trinity Performance Certificate exams. These nationally recognised qualifications require students to choose and perform a recital programme at Intermediate (Grade V) or Advanced (Grade VII) Level.
If you are interested in joining the CYMT please visit www.cymtaunton.org.uk for more details.
Musicians from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama often perform and provide workshops for students at Huish. Please view our events calendar for any upcoming events.