If you sing or play a musical instrument you will find a whole variety of groups to join at Huish – we have everything from Classical to Folk to Pop to Rock.
We perform regular concerts across a number of venues and you can also benefit from workshops and concerts put on by visiting professional artists.
I have been working on my LTCL, a Level 6 Diploma in Music Performance (Piano), so I was delighted to discover the Advanced Musicians Scheme at Huish. Kathryn Foyle, the Music Course Manager, has supported me hugely and I took my LTCL last week. The new Aspen Centre for Music must be one of the best facilities in the South West and we are very fortunate to have such an impressive Bösendorfer piano. I love Huish so much that I spend Saturday mornings here as well at the Centre for Young Musicians Taunton, a division of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Aspen Centre for Music has been purpose built to offer the best experience for those wanting to advance their musical skills.
- 2 recording studios with RedNet Technology
Studio 1: Audient ASP 8024 HE Mixing Desk
Studio 2: Allen and Heath ZED 16 Mixing Desk
- Industry standard microphones, guitar amplifiers etc
- 2 sound proof live rooms for recording
- A Mac suite equipped with the latest Apple iMac computers running Logic X, Ableton, Sibelius 8
- Editing/production suite with Allen and Heath QU24 Digital Mixing Desk
- 2 large specialist music teaching classrooms
- 5 purpose built practice rooms equipped with pianos for instrumental lessons and individual bookings
- Secure instrument store cupboard and vast library of printed music
- Instruments and sound equipment available to loan
Also on campus we have a number of well equipped practice rooms:
- Red Room – Large practice room with stage, full PA and recording facilities, Drum Kit, Amps and Piano
- Green Room – Piano, PA, Drum Kit, Amps
- Blue Room – Drum Kit, PA Amps and Recording facilities
The Advanced Musicians Scheme is for students studying A Level Music wishing to extend and develop their musical skills. You will be expected to have instrument lessons.
It will prepare you for application to Music Colleges and University Courses including the Choral/Instrumental Scholarship at Oxford or Cambridge.
Within your timetable you will receive:
- Advanced aural lessons
- Theory Classes (ABRSM Grade VI/VII in Year 1, Grade VIII in Year 2)
- Sight-reading classes
- Performance master-classes with professional musicians
You will be encouraged to enter local and national competitions and be entered for Trinity Performance Certificate exams. These nationally recognised qualifications require students to choose and perform a recital programme at Intermediate (Grade V) or Advanced (Grade VII) Level.
Individual instrumental or vocal lessons are available for students on any course at Richard Huish College. We recommend a range of fantastic peripatetic teachers for voice, traditional instruments such as piano and violin, as well as rock/jazz instruments, such as guitar and drums.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, lessons are currently having to take place online (by Zoom or whichever platform the teacher recommends). However, we hope that face-to-face lessons will be possible soon in Aspen block practice rooms, in your frees/lunch breaks etc. You and the teacher will be able to book the rooms using an online calendar system.
For full details and biographies of each teacher, go to Moodle – Music – Individual Lessons or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your parent/carer and yourself need to contact the teacher directly and set up an individual agreement with them about the cost, duration and terms of the lessons.
If you are in receipt of the College Bursary, you may be able to direct some of the financial assistance towards your music teacher, please contact Kathryn Foyle for details.
Centre for Young Musicians Taunton (CYMT), a division of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, provides high quality progressive musical training for under 18’s and is based at Richard Huish College on Saturdays in term time.
If you are interested in joining the CYMT please visit www.cymtaunton.org.uk for more details.
Musicians from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama often perform and provide workshops for students at Huish. Please view our events calendar for any upcoming events.