Welcome to Tigers Basketball. Developing a sustainable high performance basketball programme in Somerset.
To provide the best opportunity to develop Basketball, people, players and teams, alongside exceptional academics.
- Cultural change – to inspire a generation of positive basketball players
- Success in abundance – we work hard every day to make Huish Tigers the leading club in the South West
- Sustainability – to create and develop a club that is embedded into education and the local community
- Exceed expectation – to always achieve above our weight.
- Workforce excellence – to develop the best coaching and support team in the UK.
Studying and playing basketball at Huish helped me improve as a player and a student. Teachers are always willing to help out and are understanding when it comes to sport as long as you do your work. You have access to lots of resources in the Learning Centre; you can also access the gym or court pretty much whenever you want and the partnership with the Tigers Programme allows you to play basketball at a national league level.
Huish is unique. From my own experience, playing basketball while studying at a high level opens up great opportunities. Huish offers great individual support with balancing studies while playing basketball. I really developed myself not only in basketball but also as a person. I learned how to keep to a routine and develop all aspects of student life that has set me up for the future. Training everyday helps keep you stay excited to go to College everyday. The people you meet here are special and truly care about your success. I feel great to be apart of this programme.
Basketball at Huish was the best part of my Sixth Form experience. Spending every day training with your team and competing in games together makes so many memories that you’ll never forget. The facilities and staff at Huish made it so easy to get a break from studying and enjoy the game as well as work towards extra goals outside of your academic ones. I would whole-heartedly recommend basketball at Huish as it made my College experience a great one.
Huish Taunton Tigers Basketball has a long history with Richard Huish College stretching back to 1999 when the first academy was set up. During this first period it was known as the Taunton Tigers Academy before changing to the Huish Basketball Academy. In 2013 it became what it is today – Huish Taunton Tigers – with the college and club working seamlessly together to provide a pathway for players to compete in Basketball England National League and onto university.
Recent College highlights include:
- Men’s Basketball England Dynamik Cup Finalists – final cancelled due to Covid (2020)
- Women’s Basketball England Dynamik Cup Finalists – final cancelled due to Covid (2020)
- Men’s AoC Cup Semi-Finalists (semi-final cancelled due to Covid) (2020)
- South West AoC League Winners (2020, 2019, 2018)
- Women’s Silver Medal at AoC Nationals Tournament (2019)
- Women’s AoC Cup Winners (2019)
- Men’s AoC Cup Runners Up (2019)
Recent club highlights include:
- U18s South West Conference Winners (2020, 2019)
- U16s South West Conference Winners (2020)
- Trip to Madrid in February 2020 for U18s and U16s to experience training and culture at Basketball Aritos
The Sycamore Sports Hall is the home of Huish Tigers Basketball. Opened in 2017, the purpose built facility includes a full sized multi sports arena, including a spacious viewing gallery with seating for 100 spectators, changing facilities, a gym and classrooms. The courts are said to be one of the best in the country with state-of-the art camera technology for performance analysis. View our facilities in the Huish 360º Virtual Campus Tour.
Students who are part of the Tigers Basketball programme will receive:
- 10+ hours of contact coaching time (if involved with Tigers Club there is an additional 3 hours plus games)
- Coaching delivered by experienced Level 3 coaches
- Access to the gym
- Strength & Conditioning programme
- Physio clinic
- Basketball coaching and officiating qualifications if interested
- Full accommodation available on campus if required (fees apply)
Studying at Huish
You are first and foremost a student and the College allows you to combine performance basketball with your academic studies. Huish provides exceptional education and training through the delivery of holistic academic and vocational curriculum, including A levels and Level 2 and 3 Vocational courses. Rated as outstanding by Ofsted, Huish is more than a Sixth Form College, it is a place where you can expand your horizons and develop your future among like-minded people. Visit the School Leavers section to find out more about joining the Sixth Form.
For students requiring it, Huish can provide accommodation. Huish are members of Boarding Schools Association (BSA) State Boarding Forum and one of the only state Sixth Form Colleges in the UK that offers student accommodation; our outstanding educational reputation sees us welcome students from all across the UK, Europe and internationally.